Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Small Blessings

As I rather self-deprecatingly remarked in number 6 here, I made the decidedly unclassy, but decidedly affordable, decision to sleep on an air mattress rather than a real bed this year, because mattresses and bed frames are expensive and difficult to move after each year. I've never been so thankful for my thrift.

Yesterday, the pipes in the apartment above our froze and burst, and our apartment was flooded. I'm 400 miles away dropping my sister off at an airport, so there's nothing I can do right now except wait for updates from my roommates, who spent last night in a hotel and are spending today meeting with contractors and trying to vacuum the water out of the carpet.

But my roommate just called me to ask whether all of my linens are dryer-safe, and I learned that of all our beds, mine was the only one that got hit with any water. Mine, the plastic one. It can be dried off with a towel, it won't have to be thrown away, and if, for some reason, it does have to be thrown away, it'll fit in a regular trash can and can be replaced for $100 or less.

This is what we call a "silver lining."

No comments:

Post a Comment