Friday, August 28, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Part XXVII

1. I started to write a Quick Take here just a few minutes ago, but it turned into a full-length post. Check back Monday for the most beauty I've ever experienced.
*******
2. For our 18-month anniversary, I gave Rhett a CD I'd made him of songs that make me think of him. I wrote on the CD "I made you a mix tape." This, apparently, is a highly amusing thing to write on a CD. I'm not sure I've ever seen him laugh so hard nor so long. I knew I was being funny, but I had no idea just how funny I actually am.
*******
3. I've been having a tough time keeping up this blog lately. It just doesn't really hold my interest as much as it used to. When I started it, I had all these thoughts that I felt I just needed an outlet for. Apparently having the outlet makes the thoughts seem much less urgent. I've decided that while I'm definitely going to maintain this blog, I'm not going to put as much pressure on myself as I had been trying to. If I have things I want to post, I'll post them. If not, expect some dead air.
*******
4. That said, expect some regular posts over the next week or two. Months ago, I bought one of those little wooden bracelets with pictures of saints on them, and I've been wearing it regularly. I am, however, highly embarrassed to not be able to identify a good 50% of the figures. (The fact that there are 2 images of Christ and 1 of the Blessed Virgin make my numbers even more pathetic, as those are gimmes.) I'm hoping that if I post these pictures, someone will be able to help me ID my mystery saints.
*******
5. It occasionally occurs to me that I should be really hoping that the bloggers I read regularly pay no attention to their SiteMeters at all. I still don't use a Feed Reader to read my blogs, finding it more exciting to actually visit a site and see if there's been an update since the last time I checked. The problem is, with my summer work over and school not starting until next week, I have sometimes over the past several days found myself at home with hours to kill, sitting on the computer, "occasionally" (often) checking my favorite blogs for new posts. This is worst at sites that I know update more than once a day, and Fr. Z at WDTPRS may very well think he has either a huge fan following or a dedicated stalker in [Small Town, NY]. I'm so embarrassed.
*******
6. I'm such a stereotypical poor grad student. Besides spending my unclaimed hours on the internet waiting for blogs to be updated (I'm not as pathetic as I sound, really), I just ordered my new bed to be delivered to my apartment. My new air bed, that is. Why buy a whole new bed that will just have to be sold or moved back to NY when I can sleep on an air mattress for a year? It's cheaper and easier - it's just not exactly classier.
*******

7. I can't figure out how I feel about this Wall Street Journal article about an artist who buys deaccessioned museum pieces and transforms them into his own works of art. It's certainly art, but it's got a very anti-preservation attitude that rubs me the wrong way. If you'd like the artist's take on it, check out his own blog at http://recyclelacma.blogspot.com/.


Photo credit Robert Fontenot
*******
Check out more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary!

2 comments:

  1. Grad students are not supposed to be classy. That comes later. Poor now in order to be successful later. That degree will count. Plus, there is something to be learned from being poor. It is not necessarily a bad thing. It makes one become much more creative about lots of things. Good luck, future graduate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading these. I laughed out loud at #5 -- I've had the same thought sometimes. In fact, just today I ended up checking someone's blog about five times (long story) and then I noticed that they had one of those "live feed" things in their sidebar, and there was the name of my town, over and over again in their visits feed. I'm sure they thought they had some creepy stalker obsessing over their site. :)

    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete