Friday, August 14, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Part XXVI


1. From now on, I always sign leases for apartments sight unseen. I let my new roommate pick out our new apartment while I was out of the city, and signed the lease and paid my first month's rent before I'd ever seen it. I finally moved some furniture in earlier this week - I won't move in for a couple of weeks yet - and I was thrilled. Any apartment I'd picked out would have probably been significantly worse, but as it is, we're in a good neighborhood, really close to a Metro, two floors, 3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, gorgeous kitchen, spacious living room, and, perhaps most exciting of all, the walls are painted! Such an improvement over "renters' white."
*******
2. There are no country music stations in NY, where I'm living now, so I have to get my fix when I go down to DC. After I'd gotten in and we'd moved my furniture, I mentioned to Rhett that I was surprised I wasn't hoarse from screaming country music lyrics the entire ride down. I was not amused by his response. "You know, it's really not fair. I didn't know about this "country" thing when we started dating."
*******
3. How did I go from having 20-something Tweets in my Twitter history to having 9? And is it weird that it's the middle ones that disappeared, not the oldest ones or the most recent?
*******
4. My most recent genealogical success is still exciting me hugely. Months ago, I'd written away to the NYPD Department of Personnel to see if they could give me information on my great-grandfather, a cop. I didn't hear from them for ages, and figured no response was coming. Wrong! And what a response it was! Just the list of everything that was included was 3.5 pages long. I'm still excited. Let me know if you want to know where to write and what information to include, those of you who have NYPD ancestors.
*******
5. I've been dog-sitting for the past 2 weeks (I had a friend take over for me for a couple days in the middle). I think it's supposed to be the easiest job in the world, but I'm totally ready for them to be home. Sleeping in someone else's bed, and eating my meals across town from where I sleep and dress is just plain old exhausting.
*******
6. Besides, I'm not quite old enough yet to forget how I would have felt about having a house entirely to myself a few years ago, and so I can't help but think it's such a waste of an empty house to use it for sleeping, genealogy, and applying for internships, and not crazy parties that are the envy of the 11th grade.
*******
7. (I never in my life had one of the above parties, nor would I have known where to get the beer or the phone numbers of the right guests that would have made one possible. But a girl can dream, right?)
*******
Check out more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, empty houses are not all that they are cracked up to be! When our 7 moved out, almost all at the same time, the house became so unbearably empty that we decided to move into an RV! Now we are back in a house, but we have company: three cats.

    ReplyDelete