Friday, July 24, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Part XXIII


1. Some time ago, I was walking behind a couple girls, about my age, maybe a little younger, who were discussing the inherent unfairness of being female. "Women have to find a spouse, get married, and have kids between the ages of, say, 28 and 35." Excuse me? I'm not advocating "children having children," but really, must we ignore the first fifteen years of a woman's fertility?
*******
2. I got a haircut this morning. I hadn't had it cut since Thanksgiving, at which point I'd gotten fed up with it and had my sister cut it on Thanksgiving morning while I sat on the edge of the bathtub with a glass of wine in my hand. It was long, and scraggly, and unkempt, and I was beginning to get embarrassed every time I thought about what adorned my head. Now it's shoulder length, with layers and angles. I feel like a whole new person - and that person is both grown-up and stylish.
*******
3. You may or may not know that I'm a genealogy nerd. I just found out, via Dick's Genealogy and History Corner, that the 1905 NYS Census is online at the FamilySearch.org pilot! Who's excited?! Since it's not indexed, I guess we know how I'll be spending the rest of my summer vacation.
*******
4. I'm sure that nearly everyone who's reading this post has come from Conversion Diary, but I have to point out Jen's recent post to anyone who hasn't seen it: Inconvenient love: A lesson from a movie theater. I know it sparked a little controversy in the comments, but all I thought when I read it was, "Wow, I should be a better person." Jen's posts often have the effect of making me want to be a better person.
*******
5. I have noticed that the majority of people who arrive on this blog from Google are searching for how to get red wine off of a white wall. I really wish I had better, safer, advice for you, folks. Sorry.
*******
6. I just - as I write this - got the following comment on facebook: "i saw some dude restoring an old book in a church, thought of you...."I think I'm flattered. I guess that's the impression you make on people when you work in museums and archives.
*******
7. Oh goodness, someone has to help me! As I wrote this, Thursday night, I was watching a movie on LMN (Lifetime Movie Network) called Moment of Truth: Justice for Annie. In this movie, a mom begins to suspect that her daughter's accidental death was actually murder for insurance fraud. She and the sympathetic detective uncover evidence, take it to trial, and then the verdict is announced, and it is. . . I sat on the remote! By the time I got it back to the channel, the movie was over. Does anyone know how this movie ends?
*******
Check out more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I don't know anything about the movie - but I enjoyed your quick takes! Does that help any? :)

    Also, it sounds like those poor girls have been corralled into believing the feminists who've told them that they should be doing whatever they can to get ahead. How sad that they may be missing out on their true happiness by believing it :/

    ReplyDelete