Sunday, June 28, 2009

Accidental Adoration

I've never been to Eucharistic Adoration before Friday, and I didn't mean to go then, either. I was going to Confession, and I didn't even take note of what was going on in the chapel as I passed it to get to the Confessional. Waited on line, confessed, was absolved, went to the chapel and sat down in a pew to pray my penance. I glanced up and stopped when I saw the monstrance on the altar. I was literally awe-struck at what was before me, stunned into silence. I couldn't think, couldn't pray, and tears welled up in my eyes. It was some time before I could choke out my penance and return to just sitting there, amazed to be in the physical Presence of Christ.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and deprivation heightens the senses. That confession had been a long time coming, and it had been some time since I'd been able to receive Communion.

And so, even though I was supposed to be meeting friends and had intended to bang out a quick Penance after Confession and be on my way, I sat. The Presence of the Lord was palpable. I've never felt anything like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment