Monday, June 8, 2009

These darn kids!

Last night, I went into Manhattan to see my cousin's band play. They were wonderful, as always. After the show, I went back to the apartment she shares with my sister Suellen, because it seemed silly to take the ride all the way back out to the suburbs just to go to bed and wake up and take a train all the way back into the city. I imagined myself perky and well-rested, since having a 30-minute commute would mean I could wake up at 7:15 am instead 5:30 am. That's a lot of sleep!

When my cousin and I walk into the apartment, around 9:30, my Suellen and her boyfriend are looking at menus online.

"Oh, are you ordering food?" I ask.

I was hungry, I could have used a little pre-bedtime snack.

"We're thinking about going out for dinner."

"This late?" I'm incredulous. "It's a weeknight!"

"I know!" my cousin agrees. "I probably won't stay up past 2 or 2:30 tonight, since I have to be at work at 8."

I waited for her to laugh at her own joke, to at least crack a smile. Nothing. She was serious.

I'm sorry, can anyone else count how few hours of sleep that allows?

No comments:

Post a Comment