Sunday, January 11, 2009

Blog Advice

The Internet Monk posted, a while ago (but I'm new at this), on Ten Reasons I Don't Read Your Blog. Since I'm a newcomer to the blogging scene, since I'm pretty sure no one "reads" my blog, per se, I've read them and I'll be doing my best to pay attention to them in the future.

1. It's too personal. Personal is good. Too personal and I don't care. I should know enough about your life to understand you. I shouldn't know what you are doing with your homeschooled kids every day or how your sheets gave you a rash. Know what "TMI" stands for and blog accordingly.

Uh oh. I think my first real post had elements that could be described as "TMI." It won't happen again, I promise. And I'm not sure most of the rest of my posts have much "personal is good" at all.

2. You have no sense of humor. You can't laugh at yourself.

I'm working on it. It might not be evident yet, but I'm working on it.

3. Your level of knowledge regarding the subjects you write about is so low that a discussion isn't moved forward by what you write.

I'm not even sure there even ARE "subjects I write about," much less that I know anything about them.

4. Your posts don't have links that lead me to new, interesting and helpful sites I've not yet discovered. I tell this to beginning bloggers all the time, but usually to no avail. Season your posts with helpful links.

I'd never thought of this as important, but sure, I'll give it a go. As soon as I come up with some helpful links.

7. Your blog wastes my time. After I come there, I've learned nothing, seen nothing, felt nothing and been moved toward nothing. It was just there. I want my five minutes back. I don't want to hurt your feelings, but is there anything real, human, truthful, beautiful or worthwhile there?

At this point, I doubt it. Uh oh.

9. You keep playing with your site and it's annoying. The fonts/colors/template change. The sidebars grow like some kind of lab culture. You've added every tie-in, java box and whirling dervish you can find, and then you redo the template.

Well, no. No, I don't. In fact, I'm not particularly satisfied with my template, etc., at the moment - especially the sidebars - but I'm a little afraid to. Blogs scare me.

I'll try better in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment