Friday, March 27, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday Volume XII

Click on the graphic for more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary!


1. I have to point anyone who hasn't seen it to this post over on Faith and Family Live. What a great story! I was going to mention my own "saints work in mysterious ways" experience this week, but the story of how I lost my work ID badge and prayed to St. Anthony but still couldn't find it, but then the security officer at work happened to check (presumably prompted by good St. Anthony) and saw that my new badge had come in and I didn't need the old one anymore, anyway is a much less cool story.
*******
2. You're going to think this is inane, but sometimes I'm just amazed by the things we know without even realizing that they're things we know. Can you imagine how much more complicated some very simple things would be if you didn't know instinctively which months were designated by which numbers? I think about that all the time.
*******
3. I looked at some genealogy last night for the first time in weeks, and ended up awake until 2:30 am creating a personalized Google map that mapped my relatives' homes in Brooklyn in the 19th century against the churches that were in Brooklyn based on when they were founded. It was so very exciting!
*******
4. Lately I've really wished I were a friendlier person. I just admire friendly people so much. There are two women in particular, who I work with, who are just always so nice. They make very pleasant conversation with people they barely know (e.g. ME!) and it's impossible not to come away from an interaction with them feeling good. I wish I were more like that.
*******
5. Especially since it's Lent (though this is a late start, I know), I feel like I should be doing something worthwhile with at least some of my time. Several weeks ago, after Mass, there was a talk by one of the Little Sisters of the Poor. Sr. Pauline talked about what they do and asked for contributions. Her story of taking care of the elderly was so moving that I was crying and crying in the pew. I donated money, of course, but felt like I should do something more. Tomorrow morning, Rhett and I are going to their volunteer orientation. I'm a little intimidated, but I'm also excited.
*******
6. Tonight is the 23rd birthday of one of my best friends, and he's having a party. I haven't seen any of my friends in a while - several weeks, at least - so I'm really excited to go out and have fun. I'm also a little scared of the condition I might be in in front of the Little Sisters tomorrow morning at 9:30.
*******
7. There's a commercial out for Ask.com that asks What's the difference between white eggs and brown eggs? It made me really curious, so I decided to find out. (In proof that advertising isn't always effective, I went instinctively to Google.) According to all the results Google offers, the difference between white eggs and brown eggs is that white eggs are white and brown eggs are brown. What would we do without the internet?

No comments:

Post a Comment