Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pumpkin Bars

Yesterday afternoon, Tuesdays being my day off, I made pumpkin bars from the recipe that Maria left me in the comments on my first crock pot post. (I had asked for them when she mentioned them on Faith and Family.) They were so amazing that I simply have to repost the recipe.

Pumpkin Bars
3/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup cooking oil 1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Mix dry ingredients. Beat eggs, add sugar, then oil; add dry ingredients
with pumpkin and nuts. Pour in 9x9x2-inch greased baking pan. Bake at 350
degrees for 30 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pan and frost, if
desired.


I didn't have a 9x9 pan, so I put mine in one that was more like 5x6. (Do pans that size even exist?) Mine were much thicker, I'm sure, than Maria's are, and had to bake for more like 40-45 minutes. I think I'd try to go with the larger pan in the future, as these go very quickly (and, um, I'm the only one eating them), so it'd be nice to be able to make them stretch/control myself more easily. I highly recommend these.

Maria said that she had added oatmeal and chocolate chips on top, which sound good, but having given up chocolate for Lent, I went with the basic recipe. I tried to add nuts, but failed at doing so. (After crushing some walnuts, I left them on the other side of the counter and didn't realize I'd forgotten them until I was cleaning up. Then I tried to figure out what to do with them. Did you ever try to snack on crushed walnuts with your fingers while watching tv? I recommend a spoon.)

I also made a pumpkin soup last night, but I don't have the recipe right now to post it. Does anyone else have any good pumpkin recipes? I have a ton of pumpkin puree in the freezer, and I'm looking for things to do with it!

1 comment:

  1. I am sooooo glad you liked them!!!

    I have one more pumpkin to roast from the Fall - is that scary?

    Oh, well - it's food right?

    Pumpkin soup sounds soooooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete